Congratulations on choosing the Hyundai NEXO! You will be driving Hyundai’s most technologically advanced model, which not only produces zero emissions, but also offers up to an EPA-estimated 380 miles of range1 and a five-minute refueling time.2 In addition to the obvious environmental benefits of zero-emission driving, you will also qualify for California Red Clean Vehicle Decals for single occupant carpool lane use3, and possibly qualify for a $5,000 rebate from California Air Resources Board. In addition, Hyundai gives you up to three years of free hydrogen refueling4, 21 days free car rental for trips outside the refueling infrastructure5 as well as Hyundai’s most advanced technology and design to date.
Though Hyundai has been developing hydrogen fuel cell vehicles since the year 2000, this is the first Hyundai model designed entirely around the fuel cell drivetrain. A hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is basically an electric-vehicle that uses hydrogen as stored energy instead of charged batteries. A hydrogen fuel cell’s advantage over battery-powered electric vehicles is a significantly longer range and a 5-minute refueling time which will vary based on ambient temperature, hydrogen fueling pressure, current fill level and other factors.
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Details
The NEXO powerplant is quite sophisticated, but is based on a very simple principal. You may have had a chemistry class in which the instructor used electricity to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water. The NEXO fuel cell reverses that process by combining hydrogen with pressurized oxygen to produce electric current and water.
To be more specific, hydrogen atoms enter a fuel cell through an anode membrane where a chemical reaction strips them of their electrons. The negatively charged electrons provide direct current (DC) which is then converted to alternating current (AC) through an inverter. The AC powers the electric motor driving the front wheels. The electrons are then recombined with the hydrogen protons as well as oxygen from the air to produce water.
The electric motor produces 161 horsepower and a notable 291 ft.lb. of torque, which is available from a standing start. Like most electric vehicles, no transmission is necessary. The EPA-estimated driving range between fill ups is 380 miles for the Nexo Blue and 354 miles for the Nexo Limited model.
Before the air can enter the fuel cell stack, it is extensively filtered. An advanced air purification system filters out 99.9% of ultra-fine particles (PM2.5) and toxic gases. You can monitor how many kiloliters of purified air your NEXO has produced in the ECO Driving display of your center screen. The display also shows how many kilograms of CO2 the NEXO did not produce compared to a comparable gas-powered vehicle driven the same distance.
The interaction between the hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell, motor, and battery can also be observed on the center screen. There are also specific displays for hydrogen tank & pressure status, and recent fuel economy.
Both the NEXO center display and your MyHyundai smartphone application will show you how many miles you can travel before refueling is needed as well as the distance to the nearest hydrogen fueling station. If you look for a hydrogen fuel station after you have entered a destination in the navigation system, each hydrogen fuel station listing will be accompanied by a figure indicating the distance from the station to your destination.
Select an individual hydrogen refueling station in either the NEXO on-board system or your phone app and you will be provided with the station’s name, address, phone number, and will be informed if the station is currently open. You will also see the pressure rating of the available hydrogen dispensers, shown as 35 (MPa) or 70 (MPa). 35 (MPa) and 70 (MPa) are the maximum fill pressures of the dispensers. NEXO is designed to use a 70 (MPa) dispenser to fill the fuel tanks to full capacity. Using a 35 (MPa) dispenser on NEXO will only fill the fuel tanks to half capacity. Consequently, if the NEXO is half full when you try to refuel using a 35 (MPa) dispenser, no additional fuel will actually be dispensed. Fortunately, all retail hydrogen fuel stations provide 70 MPa pumps, but it is something you will want to check.
Most of the hydrogen fuel infrastructure is presently in California, which is why sales and leasing of the NEXO is currently exclusive to the state. And as NEXO is a zero emissions vehicle, make sure to apply for your $5,000 rebate as part of the California Vehicle Rebate Program (CVRP) There are restrictions when applying for both the Clean Air Decal and the rebate. Click here for more information.
When you want to venture farther than the hydrogen infrastructure can currently support, as a NEXO owner/lessee, you are entitled to 21 days of car rental free of charge from Enterprise rental.5
Technologically Advanced Features
Some of Hyundai’s most advanced technology features makes their debut on the NEXO Limited model. These features include the Surround View Monitor, Blind View Monitor and Remote Smart Parking Assist.
Blind View Monitor
Just as the rear-view camera automatically activates when you select Reverse, the Blind View Monitor6, activates automatically when you are in Drive and engage either the left or right turn signal. Using a camera mounted below each outside mirror, the system projects an image on the instrument cluster display more comprehensive than can be seen from the mirror alone.
Surround View Monitor
Activated by a button at the lower left of the control dial on the center console, the Surround View Monitor uses four cameras - front, back and on each side - to provide a combined image that shows a top-down 360-degree view of the area immediately around the vehicle. You will see if there are any obstructions by the doors and will always be able to park perfectly.
Remote Smart Parking Assist
In some circumstances, you can just let the NEXO park for you. The Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA)7, will park the NEXO autonomously in the two most challenging parking scenarios: Parallel parking and backing into a perpendicular space adjacent to another car. If the space is particularly tight, RSPA will even park the car with you standing outside of it. If the perpendicular spot is still tight when you return you can remotely have the car pull forward to ease access. The system can also automatically depart from a parallel parking space with you in the car.
Explore MyHyundai to learn more about your NEXO and general Hyundai model ownership.
How do I get my NEXO fuel card?
The two qualifications for the NEXO Fuel Card are that one must purchase or lease a new NEXO, and enroll in Hyundai Blue Link, which is also complementary for three years. Approximately two days after enrollment, customer will receive a $200 debit card that can be used to purchase hydrogen fuel. Debit card terms and conditions apply. Approximately two weeks following enrollment, customer will receive a NEXO hydrogen fueling card (“NEXO Card”) with a maximum value of $12,800, to be used exclusively at certified retail hydrogen fueling stations in California. Any remaining value on the card will expire on the third anniversary of the date of vehicle purchase or lease.
If I sell my NEXO within three years, can I transfer the fuel card and rental voucher to the new owner?
Both the H2 Fuel Card, and the Enterprise car rental voucher are benefits exclusively for purchasers and lessees of new Nexo vehicles. Neither benefit is transferable.
Can I drive my NEXO outside of California?
As of this writing, 36 of the nation’s 40 fuel stations are within California, with the other four out of range from a California fuel station. Hydrogen infrastructure is expected to grow in the next several years, but as of now, NEXO operation is limited to California.
How does the free rental car offer work?
Purchasers or lessees of a new NEXO will receive a 21-day car rental voucher from Enterprise, which is valid for 3 years from the date of vehicle purchase or lease, or an average of one week per year. There is no minimum amount of days or maximum times of use, so you can use the 21 days in any manner you choose. Car rentals are subject to Enterprise’s terms and conditions.
When will I get my rental car voucher?
Your Enterprise Rental voucher should arrive 10-15 days after purchase or initial lease date.
Where is the Hydrogen stored?
The NEXO has three hydrogen storage tanks. Two are located in front of the rear axle below the rear seat, and one behind the rear axle below the cargo area.
1) 2019 Nexo Fuel Cell Blue rated at 65 City / 58 Hwy / 61 Combined MPGe and 380 mile driving range. 2019 Nexo Fuel Cell Limited rated at 59 City / 54 Hwy / 57 Combined MPGe and 380 mile driving range. All figures are EPA estimates and for comparison purposes only. Actual mileage and range will vary based on driving conditions, driving habits, vehicle condition and other factors.
2) Fueling time will vary based on ambient temperature, hydrogen fueling pressure, current fill level and other factors
3) Eligible drivers may drive in the carpool lane without even carpooling. Visit dmv.ca.gov to learn about eligibility requirements and apply for your clean air vehicle decal.
4) Customers who purchase or lease a new Hyundai NEXO vehicle can receive hydrogen fueling cards with a combined maximum value of $13,000 to be used during the first three years of ownership or lease. Customer must first enroll in Hyundai Blue Link at owners.hyundaiusa.com to receive hydrogen fueling cards. Approximately two days after enrollment, customer will receive a $200 debit card that can be used to purchase hydrogen fuel. Debit card terms and conditions apply. Approximately two weeks following enrollment, customer will receive a NEXO hydrogen fueling card (“NEXO Card”) with a maximum value of $12,800. NEXO Card will only function at certified retail hydrogen fueling stations in California. NEXO Card and any remaining value will expire on the third anniversary of the date of vehicle purchase or lease, unless the maximum value is reached earlier. NEXO Card is available exclusively to the initial purchaser or lessee and is non-transferable. See your participating Hyundai dealer or hyundaiusa.com for details.
5) Purchasers or lessees of new Hyundai NEXO vehicles will receive a 21-day car rental voucher from Enterprise Rent-A-Car (“Enterprise”) valid for 3 years from the date of vehicle purchase or lease. Vouchers are available exclusively to the initial purchaser or lessee and are non-transferable. Car rentals are provided by Enterprise and are subject to Enterprise’s terms and conditions. Please allow 10-15 days for receipt of voucher. See your participating Hyundai dealer or hyundaiusa.com for details.
6) Blind View Monitor (BVM) assists driver in changing lanes by providing a live view of the blind spots on either side of the vehicle and an audible alert if another vehicle is detected. Turn signal must be activated and other system limitations apply. Do not rely exclusively on BVM. It is the driver’s responsibility to be aware of the surroundings and ensure it is clear before changing lanes or directions. See Owner’s Manual for more information.
7) Remote Smart Parking Assist can autonomously park the vehicle. However, several factors can reduce the performance of Remote Smart Parking Assist. The parking sensors may not function correctly on steep inclines, if there is no other parked vehicle to use as a reference point, if one or more of the parking sensors is damaged, dirty or covered or if weather conditions (heavy rain, snow or fog) are interfering with the sensor operation. Always inspect the parking area with your own eyes.